Tuesday, January 6, 2015

In My Old Age... - originaly posted May 30, 2014

 
 
The 26th of May marked my thirty-third birthday.  When I was 11, I would have told you that being in your 30's meant you were ancient.  My 22 y.o. self thought anyone over thirty was old, had their shit together, and knew what general direction their life was heading.  Now, I shake my head at those two for being so stupid.

I look back at all the things I have experienced in my adulthood thus far: In no particular order,  I have -  had 3 children, buried one, lost 3 grandmothers, and a great-grandmother.  I have also  gone to school four times (I should be a fucking doctor by now!  LOL), had 5 jobs, gotten fired twice, gotten married, aquired two step-children, started a relationship with my real father, and gained about 135 lbs.

That's been in JUST the past 15 years of my life!  Holy shit!  LOL.  Have you ever done that?  Just sat down and wrote out all the things that you have been through, good or bad, since becoming an adult?  Maybe you should. 

This is the first time I've actually written it out, honestly; but, it's gotten me thinking of all the times I've felt sorry for myself.  Really, I know I'm not the only person who looks at their life and thinks, "What in the hell have I been doing with my life? Where did the time go?  What have I accomplished?"  Well, it's right in front of me, now.  I know EXACTLY what I've done, and what I've accomplished.

You can't look at these things and think, "Boo hoo, look at all I've had to go through, poor me!"  You've got to say, "Hell yes, I made it through in one piece!"  I don't have my shit together, and I don't know which direction my life will take me, but, I'd say, all-in-all, what I've done is a lot that I can be proud of.  I have made it through a few different levels of hell, and I survived (without getting one fucking t-shirt!)  I've been twisted, as a result, but I'm still here.

Of course, you can't go through anything that's made it to your "list" without it affecting you in some way.  I do believe that's why it's called "life-changing"; it wouldn't make it on the list otherwise.  I KNOW that I'm a completely different person now than what I was at 18.  I'm stronger, more confident, and I don't take shit from anyone; however, I also have very little patience, I'm very stubborn,  and as we all know, I am a bitch (There are different kinds of bitch; I happen to be the good kind, though some may disagree).  My point is, I didn't end up broken.

While on the subject of change, I need to include, ( as much for myself as anyone else), that the only person anyone can ever change, at least in a positive way, is themself.  No matter how much you beg, whine, yell, or, even PRAY to your God(dess) for that person to alter their behavior, they are not going to, unless it's negatively.  I know when I'm being constantly bitched at, I bull up and do THE EXACT OPPOSITE of the desired effect; e.i., negative outcome.  Most of us do that.  Therefore, I know, deep down, that no matter how much I bitch at my kids, or my husband, to do something - to change - and although that something might be done for a while, it's not going to last, and the situation may, in fact worsen.

I have given myself a lot of headaches over this very thing, and I suppose it has finally clicked.  I need to just STOP bitching.  I'm hoping that if I let them know what is expected, stay firm and consistant, and lead by example, they will change on their own.

There are other kinds of change that hit closer to the heart.  We are all aware of what those are.  They are the deal-breakers and , sometimes, the heart-breakers.  These are the ones where we keep telling ourselves that we will give him/her one more chance, 'cause we just know that they will do better, be better.  After so many chances, and/or so many years, you've got to finally make a decision: throw in the towel and walk away with your head held high, because you KNOW you gave it your all; or stick around and deal with it, because it's not going to get better.  Regardless of your choice, it's YOU that has to change.

Make your list, draw your line, stay firm and consistant, and CHANGE, because no matter who you surround yourself with, in the end, the only person who can do it for you, IS you.

TTFN,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment